View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
pacificbum
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Default Instrument Rating advice

Hi guys,
Just looking for some advice in obtaining my instrument rating. The 2 schools I'm looking at have a different approach to instrument instruction and thought it would be helpful to hear from pilots who have already done this.

One school obtained a redbird mcx full motion simulator and focus the first half of their curriculum in the sim, and after the student in proficient in all the instrument procedures, they transition to training in the airplane. Seems to make sense to me, but never flown in sims and not sure how accurate it does replicate actual flying. They break up the hours into 20 hr sim/ 20 airplane ( I know these are just minimums and will most likely take more time).

The other school focus much more time in an airplane, which sounds good but also a bit more expensive. They focus airplane work up front and only use minimal sim time (only up to 10 hours bc of their 141 curriculum) to teach procedures such as holds and approaches.

It seems like a lot of instrument lessons are simply procedures so does it make sense to do them in the airplane at a higher cost? Are you at any disadvantage doing more instrument flight in the redbird sim? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.