Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post

Understand you dig at the guys who bid ANC, but honestly--have you seen how much INTL flying is left in the MEM bid back? We got guys hired 5 years after me that can DH to Paris from ANC, or DH to MEM and go HNL/SYD, and I cannot hold VCP or SJU in our MEM bidpack. I think some of the flight to ANC has been from the guys who commute anyway and want to fly some INTL. I look at my travel pix from 3-4 years ago and I saw Penang, Hong Kong, Cologne, Milan, etc. These days I see SLC (nice), OAK (nice), but it ain't the same. I think some guys bid it because a little longer flight to work is worth the rewards. Its ALL a great job, but its not the magic carpet tour bus it was a while back. And--sounds like it will get worse before it gets better. I don't want to do IND turns for a career--I want to see the world. I think some of the ANC guys feel the same, but I'll let then chime in for themselves.

The system form discussion is only relevant if the pilot actually flies the trips. I was referring to people who bid it but never, or rarely, go (except to the semi-annual Sim visit). Being able to do committee work from home makes it easier still.

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post

Edit: I think FEPP info, including pilot emp numbers, is on the ALPA site on grievance page. Guys can do their own research and make their own decisions, but probably better to look at source docs instead of "some guy on APC said...."

The last time I looked, only two of the lists were posted, and I know there was at least one more.

But you're correct, it needs research. For instance, if you are indeed #1, and another pilot senior to you bids for FEPP, and one seat is actually awarded, who goes? The more senior pilot, or the pilot who was awarded on the earlier posting? As you know, virtual training dates were in order of postings first, then seniority within postings combined with Bid to Relieve and Bid to be Excessed choices. That's why somebody junior (like you) could receive FEPP long before somebody less junior (like me) encountered a bid to trigger FEPP eligibility. If the actual training dates go like virtual training dates, it might not matter how many more people bid it behind you.

But I honestly don't know how they'll do it.

Like you said, interesting times ...