Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Ziggy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Sky Clear:
I will concede a couple of points to you. That if you are NOW a 1200 hr pilot and coming to a 135 operator then most likely you have been turned down by a fair share of regionals. However, our interview process is not lax, we have to be very selective of the candidates we put into our planes. We are a large 135 operator and do not want the bad publicity of some below standard pilot flying himself into a mountain side.
I came to my job before the hiring boom at the regionals. I have friends tell me every day to come over to their side, be an RJ captain in 24 months. But I cannot justify a 60% paycut to my wife or myself.
I would never be so egotistical as to say my job is hard. It's not, I'm just have enough experience to know what I'm doing and do it well. As any pilot should be.
I don't consider CFI to be an entry level position. I consider that to be an extension of the flight training. The best way to learn a subject is to teach it.
I have never been accused of being management, buy hey you want to, I'll but that feather in my hat. Management actually has a hard job, just talk to them someday. Ask them what their daily problems are.
I get paid industry average for what I do, and I consider it fair. That's all I ask, of course I could alway use more money.

Of course you are correct that it really is hard to go from a 135 operator to a 121 National or legacy airline, but not impossible. I know pilots who've ended up at SWA, CAL, Cathey Pacific, and most going to the Fract's.