View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Pakagecheck View Post
I understand the need for excess bids and their process. I was specifically asking for the timeline. I thought the bid was posted, then the age change went into effect. The bid was subsequently cancelled and then reposted. After it closed, then we had the DC-10 excess bid. The thing that most don't realize was, since the bid reopened and had vacancies, there were some senior DC-10 f/e's (way senior to me) that could only hold nb f/o on the vacancy bid and they wanted to guarantee a window seat. Yes, some held the left seat of some a/c and some held the right seat of some. Since they bid out on the vacancy bid, once the excess bid came out, the individuals that had bid out(even if they hadn't gone to training yet) we not part of the excess, so didn't get to go directly to whatever they could hold. Believe it or not, this actually was better than if they only had the excess, where they all could have gone directly to the WB capt seat or the highest seat possible. I am not justifying the actions of some or their reasons for doing so but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
That's not how I recall the timeline, but the Postings are still available at pilot.fedex.com, so I can go back and look. We also had an Excess Bid that closed, and then had most of the awards cancelled. Most people I talk to think all the awards were cancelled, but I know that some were not. My excess from the left seat of the DC-10 was one that went as scheduled.

I'll take another look at those postings when I get a few spare minutes.