View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Back in my Alaska days I had many circumstances where a passenger would insist that we go despite the weather. I also had many passengers try and get me to take extra stuff that would severely overload me. One of the worst offenders was an FAA tech who wanted me to haul an NDB inverter from a small dirt strip which weighed 1400 lbs. That wasn't a problem but loading his 300 lb butt in the airplane as well was going to be the issue from a weight and balance standpoint.

I loaded the inverter then informed him that he wasn't going out on this trip. He wasn't happy and threatened to unload the inverter and have the competition take it instead. Turns out he got to spend the night at the village and the inverter went to Kotzebue and his boss got a call.

I never once bowed to the pressure of a pax demanding that I fly in less than adequate weather. I've heard every excuse, they just bounce off of me, I decided a long time ago that anxious "got to get there pax" will not affect in anyway my decision to operate an airplane.

The worst one I ever had was when I was flying corporate. The big boss wanted me to fly him from Dallas to his hunting ranch in Seminole Texas. The ranch had a 6,000' paved strip. The closest weather report was showing 300' over 1 mile in freezing drizzle.

The boss who was a private pilot "informed" me that we were going to shoot the approach at the nearest airport and when we broke out we were going to ask for a special VFR and follow the highway down to the ranch, no problem!

I of course refused. The boss threatened to fire me I told him I'd rather be unemployed than dead. He fired me. I called my immediate boss and explained the situation. He told me to fly the airplane home. I did and upon arrival at the home field as given a raise and complimented on sticking to my guns. The big boss actually got a talking to from the board and a new policy was put into place disallowing any passenger questioning a safety related refusal to fly from our pilots.

I have heard story after story of guys getting killed after allowing themselves to get pushed. I decided as a young pilot that it was NEVER going to happen to me.

A passenger demanding that I fly when it's unsafe would be like me demanding that my doctors use different drugs and surgical procedures on me because I read about a "better" way to do open heart surgery on the internet. Ain't going to happen.