Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM
org1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B727

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
"flying alone and get like the military guys"

So are single seat fighter pilots unsafe, too?

"135 there is always hurry to get going and all is rushed and that is not the way of working in 121"

I don't know where you work (where DO you work?) but there is a schedule to keep everywhere. 121, 135, doesn't matter. Are you saying 121 can't be rushed? That's nonsense.

"In 135 the operational interest is sometimes more important that being the safest..."In 121 the safety is number one".

Level of safety is a personal responsibility and corporate culture, not what reg you are working under. I guess we could debate that there are some regs under 121 that are more stringent than 135. Maybe some 135 regs are more stringent, too, in some areas (max duty day, min rest?). But to condem 135 (and single seat fighters) as unsafe goes pretty far overboard if you ask me. I guess flying over Bosnia in an F16 was kinda unsafe, but that's the nature of the beast.

135 flying is a challenge. How safe you make it depends a lot on the individual and the company you work for. If you don't like the weather or shape the airplane is in, you need to say so. Again, the experience of flying 135 freight is a seasoning process everyone should go through before reaching the shiny jet. That would make the world a better place and make RJ Capts rest easier.
And I'd add, it would make some safer RJ Capts, too. Flying single pilot IFR forces prioritization, organization, and multitasking. After flying single pilot for a while, going to a crewed airplane is a breeze. It's up to the training at the beginning of the two pilot environment to teach the teamwork. As for CRM, I've seen plenty of guys flying large jets that didn't REALLY know what it's all about. IMHO, CRM is fostered, not taught. Long before the term was even thought of, there were lots of guys using great CRM. It's as much a personality thing as anything.