View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
cadetdrivr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Random question, how do you get a job in the training dept? When I was first starting out flying in late 90s, everyone was getting out of AF. A couple of my IPs who applied at United were contacted and asked if they'd consider instructor jobs in the training center. I can't remember if any took it.

Is that still how they hire?
Yes and no.

Ground school instructors (non-flying) that teach the FOM, systems, etc., can be hired off the street into non pilot seniority list training department positions.

Flight instructors (i.e. sim) are seniority list pilots. If one wants to work as a UA instructor the first threshold is being hired as a pilot. At times of great demand it would not surprise me if UA was actively 'recruiting' potential instructors as line pilots. For example, during my initial new-hire indoc in the late nineties they took those of us with prior transport category training/checking experience aside and asked us to consider applying for instructor positions.

FYI, per the current United Pilot Agreement:
23-A-4-c In order to be eligible to perform the duties of an Instructor, a Pilot must have a minimum of twelve (12) Bid Periods as a line Pilot with the Company.