View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

satpak77

Remember, just about General officer wears wings, has been in your position at one time in his career. In my cited case the Wing Commander wore a 10,000 hour in most of AMC's planes, had been in every position north of squadron co-pilot. The 2-star had similar experience, but pressures of the job got to him for the moment. Compare that to an airline station manager, corporate CEO on his jet or a charter customer, very, very different situation. I say that recognizing that many GOs don't have huge totals flying time, but they have been there in the dark and stormy cockpit.

My first wing commander in F-100s flew P-47s and P-51s over Europe--pretty hard to BS him and he knew exactly what it was like to be scared in plane.

OTOH, I was getting a HQ ASEV check in Aviano during the Kosovo dust-up. Cleared the runway, as asked by tower, and faced a forest of planes, helos and obstacles to get to parking. Backtracking was not an option as fighters were headed off on real missions. We snaked our way down the parallel with very marginal clearances (10' required); crew outside checking. When my E-9 engineer got upstairs the evaluator asked what the clearances were; "10', Major!" was the answer. The major replied, "you know the book answer, what's the truth?". "Oh, 4' or 5' at times". And he was lying. You do what you have to do and be willing to answer for it, if it goes wrong.

GF