Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by HuggyU2 View Post
Interesting.
I figured it would take about $40k per year minimum (after taxes) before there would be any substantial change in retention rates.

I see it mentioned that fighter pilot morale is at a rock bottom low. What is going on specific to fighter-land that is causing this?
I'm not a fighter guy but my guess is that they don't have enough fighter cockpits anymore; yet in turn have too many crappy non-flying desk job billets and/or UAV slots that mother Blue and mother Green have determined can only be manned by 11Fs. Thence, and to the irony of having been bestowed the privilege of the fighter stink, their AFSC locks them into an AF poorly-thought out scheme of gutting the operational assignments in order to fill a bunch of bad deal jobs. So, not only do they deal with community-targeted gutting, but they don't even get to return since the Rx courses are skosh in an environment of fiscal austerity.

Basically they're facing the fate of the commoner KC-135 pilot, but for the completely opposite reason (being considered uniquely qualified for the billet , as opposed to historically disposable and thus perfect for the billet). The irony indeed.

But like I said I don't fly fighters (or tankers), I just stayed at a holiday inn last night and this is the internet...