View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 PM
kansas
Swearing at the FMA

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD-88 FO

Originally Posted by xjtguy View Post
Assuming TPIC isn't a minimum requirement..............

It depends, who do you know? There's a crap ton of VERY experienced pilots with TPIC, sim instructor, LCA time that are STILL waiting on a call. AND they KNOW people. There's a crap ton of mil guys, with IP/StandEval/NATOPS experience STILL waiting on a call, and they KNOW people. So again, WHO do you know? As far as "in a few years" goes. Sorry, it'll be a long time before a pilot with ZERO TPIC gets the "cold call" from a legacy to interview. Even BEFORE 9/11 when the hiring was going at a rapid clip, it just wasn't happening.

PLENTY. Saw it at all the time. But there's a recurring theme here, THEY KNEW SOMEBODY!!!!!. However, in this hyper competitive environment, one is going to have to know either a HIGHLY connected somebody, or lot's and lot's of somebodies.

I know, I know......EVERYBODY has a story of "well, I know so and so, and they got hired at (insert airline here) and never upgraded!!!!" Yep, and there's more to the story, THERE ALWAYS MORE TO THE STORY.

As does FedEx. UPS did, probably safe to say that when (if) they start hiring they will again.
Perhaps the best post I've ever seen on this topic. +1