Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by yimke View Post
10k is pretty good. Considering you don't have to pay school loans yet. But combine that with only a 8k increase in pay. Plus those that have a family, mortgage, etc.. it is nothing!

Name another career that you spend this amount of time in training/school only to earn 20k per year? Residency doctors earn average of 40k. That is the equivalent of the amount of time/training we put in out of flight instructing for 2 years to get into a regional. Plus if doctors lose their job in the future, they don't restart at the bottom! They pick up where their experience level will pay them.

I know not every pilot can be a doctor, and the same goes the other way. Something has got to change.
No need to exaggerate the woes of airline pilots (regional and some P135 pilots inparticular), but please don't use some crazy comparisons either!
In the last decade, people have been able to come out of high school, go through a '0-Hero pipeline' and get on with a regional airline in 6 months to ONE year and 350 hrs. You are going to try and compare that route with a Doctor's route to residency even?
Even with the 1500 hr rule in use soon the path will still be less in most instances.

Flaps15 -
Bottom of the totem pole really isn't as bad as people make it sound, i'm willing to bet.
Truthfully - have you been on your own yet Flaps?

Edit: I'm glad to see from the post above that you have been out on your own so far. You see one of the big mistakes people make and that is starting a family first and this career second and planning on living up to a certain standard that the early profession won't provide. When you were in the military - were you off base alone< with roommates, on base/eating the chow hall?

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 06-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.