Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: PNF
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
No need to exaggerate the woes of airline pilots (regional and some P135 pilots inparticular), but please don't use some crazy comparisons either!
In the last decade, people have been able to come out of high school, go through a '0-Hero pipeline' and get on with a regional airline in 6 months to ONE year and 350 hrs. You are going to try and compare that route with a Doctor's route to residency even?
Even with the 1500 hr rule in use soon the path will still be less in most instances.
Even using a zero to hero program - They are usually stuck in the regionals for a good amount of time due to having no degree or need to complete one in today's market. If they have a degree already, then I count that as training toward your career path and equal to a doctor. Most doctors will minor in pre-med but will get their 4 year in something similar.

The 1500 hour rule will make it similar experience required to start a doctor's residency.

The most recent exception to this was in the 90's hiring when majors were looking at 250 hour guys.
yimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimke View Post
Even using a zero to hero program - They are usually stuck in the regionals for a good amount of time due to having no degree or need to complete one in today's market. If they have a degree already, then I count that as training toward your career path and equal to a doctor. Most doctors will minor in pre-med but will get their 4 year in something similar.
Sorry - I didn't realize you were narrowing your view of the *profession* to only major airline jobs requiring a 4 year degree.
From your first post I quoted it was pretty clear that you were saying hat regional pilots and doctors had similar paths:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimke View Post
Residency doctors earn average of 40k. That is the equivalent of the amount of time/training we put in out of flight instructing for 2 years to get into a regional. Plus if doctors lose their job in the future, they don't restart at the bottom! They pick up where their experience level will pay them.
If we are going to cherry pick parts of the profession to compare then - let's chose whatever medical speciality has the LONGEST residency to full qualification.

Where is Cardiomd user when you need him (her?) for specifics
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: PNF
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Sorry - I didn't realize you were narrowing your view of the *profession* to only major airline jobs requiring a 4 year degree.
From your first post I quoted it was pretty clear that you were saying hat regional pilots and doctors had similar paths:
I am comparing the 121 profession in general, under the assumption that MOST people want to go towards the big iron. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
If we are going to cherry pick parts of the profession to compare then - let's chose whatever medical speciality has the LONGEST residency to full qualification.

Where is Cardiomd user when you need him (her?) for specifics
I hope he can chime in to give specifics for longest residency; pay; and what you start at if you get canned/released from your practice?

I'm not trying to bicker, I'm just trying to prove a point to the aspiring pilots that it isn't what it is cracked up to be. The recruiting at many flight schools flash only the big paychecks/QOL at most majors. With premenition of a MASSIVE pilot shortage. I only wish all the 13+ year captains in the regionals with intentions of moving on and individuals with multiple furloughs in the regionals, could make a public announcement video to the public.

USMC - I respect your opinions/experience and what you do for the rest of us
yimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimke View Post
I am comparing the 121 profession in general, under the assumption that MOST people want to go towards the big iron. Sorry for the confusion.
I think most do - but you did compare making it through med school to being a regional pilot in your first post. For the most part yimke - we are agreeing - especially in your last post above regarding the non-transfer of experience across the board.
I think in the end what we are trying to convey is from start to first stage of a doctor's (let just call that after medical school) or airline pilot's career (first P121 airline); those timelines are NOT equal in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm not trying to bicker, I'm just trying to prove a point to the aspiring pilots that it isn't what it is cracked up to be. The recruiting at many flight schools flash only the big paychecks/QOL at most majors. With premenition of a MASSIVE pilot shortage. I only wish all the 13+ year captains in the regionals with intentions of moving on and individuals with multiple furloughs in the regionals, could make a public announcement video to the public.
I agree with you completely. Even having started my flying career in '85, and having served with many peers who went on to airline careers, I was terribly informed about the airline career path, business models of the regional, and basically what was important with the cost cutting (e.g. - I was actually naive enough to think that a regional would LIKE a pilot who didn't want to move onto the majors!)

Quote:
USMC - I respect your opinions/experience and what you do for the rest of us
Hey! You enjoy the heck out of those ILSs approaches and may they deliver you on course/on glideslope each and every time to the runway!
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #25  
Line Holder
 
Flaps15's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Window Seat, C-172
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
To the OP, thanks for taking the time to help other pilots make an informed decision. I'm sure adding more airlines would help even further. Maybe add a few disclaimers in there, though!

To Flaps15, $18k is pitiful. But even moreso when you are on your fourth airline due to furloughs, bankruptcies and bad luck!!! So many people miss the point that regionals aren't just where new hire CFI's go. Half of most classes are 30 something year olds hating life. Keep that in mind.
That admittedly escaped me. I'm sure it's frustrating at that point - once you have built a career and a family and established yourself somewhere just to be furloughed and pretty much lose it all with no helping hands. Cheers.
Flaps15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #26  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Default

What are the odds of a corporate pilot that is thinking about going airline to get hired on with a major? I have almost 1400 jet PIC (4600 TT)
flyemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #27  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
Default

I guess I should also say that I have some people that would give me internal recs for several different majors.
flyemb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply

Tags
eagle, great lakes, new hire, regional, republic
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Find Job Info on the Internet...espcially for newbies atpcliff Hiring News 80 04-23-2016 04:06 AM
American Eagle Job Fair jet320 Regional 16 02-27-2008 11:25 AM
not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair? Haus Cargo 139 02-15-2008 08:21 AM
Pilot Job: State of West Virginia Aviation Division. FlyArmy11 Hiring News 0 08-03-2007 10:42 AM
Job burnout may raise type 2 diabetes risk HSLD Pilot Health 0 12-12-2006 11:06 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:59 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1