Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by yimke View Post
I am comparing the 121 profession in general, under the assumption that MOST people want to go towards the big iron. Sorry for the confusion.
I think most do - but you did compare making it through med school to being a regional pilot in your first post. For the most part yimke - we are agreeing - especially in your last post above regarding the non-transfer of experience across the board.
I think in the end what we are trying to convey is from start to first stage of a doctor's (let just call that after medical school) or airline pilot's career (first P121 airline); those timelines are NOT equal in my opinion.

I'm not trying to bicker, I'm just trying to prove a point to the aspiring pilots that it isn't what it is cracked up to be. The recruiting at many flight schools flash only the big paychecks/QOL at most majors. With premenition of a MASSIVE pilot shortage. I only wish all the 13+ year captains in the regionals with intentions of moving on and individuals with multiple furloughs in the regionals, could make a public announcement video to the public.
I agree with you completely. Even having started my flying career in '85, and having served with many peers who went on to airline careers, I was terribly informed about the airline career path, business models of the regional, and basically what was important with the cost cutting (e.g. - I was actually naive enough to think that a regional would LIKE a pilot who didn't want to move onto the majors!)

USMC - I respect your opinions/experience and what you do for the rest of us
Hey! You enjoy the heck out of those ILSs approaches and may they deliver you on course/on glideslope each and every time to the runway!