View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by chritz1179 View Post
Ok so here's a question/example. Can a 135 on demand have their pilots on call 24hrs a day? Basically by the phone having to be available 30 mins from the airport. Can some one simple tell me if this is legal and point to a reg or FAA interpretation?
We were on call 24 hours for 20 days in a row. We shifted our headquarters (and thus, our FSDO) twice in my tenure with the company. One FSDO said we could do it because we weren't on duty until we got a call (then a regular 14/10 duty rest cycle started). The second FSDO disagreed saying that since we were issued pagers, we were on duty whenever we were required to carry and respond to the pager. So, next month everybody turned in the company pager, got a $50/month pay raise, and found our own pager. The FSDO also added the stipulation that pilots be able to refuse a flight due to fatigue without repercussions.

While being on call 24 hours sounds bad, if the management is reasonable and has honest employees, then it can be a great gig. My employer was very reasonable and NEVER questioned my or any other pilot's (I think) fatigue or other judgement calls.

YMMV