View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by FedElta View Post
Hey Albie,

After the DAL/NWA merger, one of the ways mgt chose to shrink to profitability was to offer an early retirement package. Avoided the nasty F word, and got rid of some of the higher paid guys on the payroll with the most vacation, etc.

I know FDX has 4a2b at their disposal, but has the union ever had discussions about Pilot early retirement package ? Just a thought to relieve the stagnation/displacements and move the payroll down a bit from its top-heavy position.

Regards,
B
Did not work during 4a2b. My impression was company does not want to work with union on staffing issues. Contract was just fine for them. As Pipe alluded to, the company does a good job of creating anger and angst that simmers for years and that a free hot dog will not wash away. Only glimmer of cooperation I saw outside of some SIG wins was some safety improvements after Flight 80 which I think helped bring on FOQA, ASAP, etc.

Payroll is payroll. I got the impression the company enjoyed watching pilot turn on pilot during those times, and huge bid pack disparities did not trouble them at all. I learned a little about how they thought, and filed it away. Also noted that unlike in years past, bottom 10% on a seat was no guarantee of staying on the seat. I also saw a lot of new optimizes emerge like FOX which created accepted fare issues and canceled ground transportation automatically, etc.

Hard for you to understand after all your years here, but I really get the impression they simply didn't give a $hit if they felt it was in the contract.

I have often said that a few of the guys I worked with in the Air Force (and many are in fact at FedEx) if given a little authority to run some flight ops could have driven ALPA off the property years ago. Instead, the nickel and dime irritants add up to the point that even this the most instinctively loyal and company-centric type ex-military guys end up just as cynical, frustrated, and disillusioned with the company and soon adopt "it's just a job..." mentality.

I like the iPads. I like the sleep rooms. I hope our next contract offers some win/win options for commuters, and the reserve system becomes more flexible. But I will believe results only when in black and white on our contract.