View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 01:13 PM
FlybyKnite
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777

Originally Posted by KAFTKTA View Post
I believe we have discovered the problem. It seems that most of the time the DP are picked up in error. (Most of the time) Maybe we need to focus on making sure the DP are better know to all-- . . . . . . . . Another thing I’d like to see in the next contract is all DP in open time displayed in Bold Red Font. (And flashing too) . . . . . .
Originally Posted by md11phlyer View Post
I would like to politely disagree. Pilots get a DP email, a SIG notes email and a mec message line email all listing the DPs. That's 3 notifications plus a listing of the pairings on the alpa website. While I do agree that it takes a while to master VIPS, it shouldn't be too dificult to save one of three (or more) emails a month referencing disputed pairings.
And I would have to politely agree with KAFTKTA. Yes-- unlike some, the union has my email address and I receive all those emails, plus the Jetflyer and even read the DP posts here too. And the one thing they all have in common is that I'm just looking at numbers, and not specifics of the pairings. The SIG tells me why they disputed it, but that doesn't help me distinguish that pairing from the others. Not making excuses for the lazy, but there has to be an easier way.

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
I'm going to email the SIG and ask if there is a way all the disputed pairings can be identified with a "D" in front of them (i.e. pairing #D187). I know it would help me sort through open while avoiding the DP's. It seems like an easy "solution" to part of the problem . . . . . .
Originally Posted by Fedex999999 View Post
Don't get your hopes up, guys. The company isn't going to do ANYTHING to help pilots figure out which pairings are disputed . . . . . . .
Agreed, the company is certainly not going to help us. They certainly aren't going to spend programming $$ to change a few rotating pairing labels. The SIG doesn't publish the pairings (confidentiality?) and the company can change the dates.

So, I am left not knowing how many of these pairings there are (4 of the #3050) or which dates (5,12,19,& 26Apr). At least with that info, I could go look at the pairing and see why the SIG disputed it. But even knowing that doesn't mean I won't pickup, VTO or CIC request one by mistake. I needed a way to download open time, find and tag those disputed pairings with a big flag so that I could "see and avoid" them. I find this one works for me, because it really sticks out in a text file:

#-#-#-#-#- DISPUTED PAIRING -#-#-#-#-#- DISPUTED PAIRING -#-#-#-#-#-
Trip 564 MEM 11 26APR07
#-#-#-#-#- DISPUTED PAIRING -#-#-#-#-#- DISPUTED PAIRING -#-#-#-#-#-

So I created a small software solution that works for me and a few other folks. The open time and mainframe download modules are fraternally Free—forever, because, I don't want anybody to have an excuse for flying a disputed pairing. If interested, Goto magicwebfx[dot]net. The Contract formatted as a Help File [MEC-approved] is also there and fraternally Free, because, hyperlinks make life easier.