View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 PM
thekid99
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: In back, next to the lav
Smile Take the money or the dream?

I know you guys have been asked 1000 times, so what's once more...

Should I make the leap?

I'm 33, working for an investment bank (which sucks more than a dyson), and considering getting back to the career I always wanted- yep, flying!

Besides the bank gig, I work part-time at a major carrier that starts with a "U", on the ramp, and have been there for 8 years. Before that I worked the gates for a regional, and before that I was washing Barons at a charter company. I love aviation, and I spend WAY too much time looking out my office window at the planes flying overhead, wishing I was "up there".

I know a career change would mean less money. My wife and I are both okay with that (she does well for herself, and our student loans are paid). We have no kids (yet).

Found a local place that will get me through CFII for about $40k. Meanwhile I can continue to work on the ramp to defray some costs. Do I have a decent shot at a flying career? Can I make it to a major in time to make captain for ~10 years, or am I too old? Currently working 50-60 hrs every week, so I can handle the long days.

Thanks for any and all pro-pilot opinions. I'll make sure your crew bags stay onboard...

-thekid