View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
jpso
Lives in Base

Joined APC: Mar 2011

You're 1/3rd of the way there!

I understand you're okay with leaving the country but, the only thing I can recommend within the United States would be an Aerial Survey outfit. They love LOW time guy because they know those Pilots will not bail out mid-season for a better opportunity. Now with a 1500 hour rule, they can be even more picky!

There are/were four main vendors that fly/flew for Pictometry and they're going to start hiring pilots NOW for October/November survey season so hurry up!

Landcare Aviation: Home (Rome, NY)
Northern States Aviation: Northern States Aviation, Aerial Survey, Reliable Airborne Platforms, Imaging, Sensing, (Idk)
Air America: Imagery | Air America Flight Center (Florida)
Desert Winds Air Service: No idea, sorry. (Mesa, AZ)

I worked for Landcare so it's the only company I can comment on.

THE GOOD!
They had (I think) 15 skyhawks and 3 aztecs in 2009. The paychecks always came in and they covered rooms up the $85/night and gave us $25/night we shared a room with another Pilot. The airplanes were OK.

THE BAD:
If you have ANY attachments, it's going to suck really, really bad. Don't expect to go home for 6-7 months. Landcare was super cautious about their pilots flying at night/imc so don't expect that either!

Generally speaking, if you're single and don't mind a hotel/travel lifestyle flying a 172 and using POF.com to keep you "active" while you expand your logbook - it's OK.