View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Hacker15e
China Visa Applicant

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Midfield downwind

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Actually, used it a lot in the USAF, never in civilian flying.

They don't even teach it in UPT anymore? What's Check Section got to say about that? No more students going crazy trying to perfect fix-to-fix NAV problems in a 38.

GF
Gotta repost this....hehe, I got a forum violation for posting a link with too many bad words in it and the original was deeeee-leted.

As you can guess, lots of IPs had minor aneurysms when radio NAVAID fix-to-fixes were dropped from the syllabus (myself included).

It happened, however, concurrently with a revision to 11-217 that also completely erased any reference the technique/procedure (which also happened to correspond with a ton of over changes to more closely align USAF instrument procedures to FAA procedures), and added in some verbiage about fix-to-fixes being done RNAV only.

So, despite everyone going all Hitler-video over it (this is the part I got a violation for -- google "Hitler fix-to-fix" if you want to go back in time and see a 2009 internet meme), since it was no longer even in the big book o' USAF instrument flying techniques/procedures, it was hard to justify UPT IPs teaching it.

Just too bad...yet another time-tested method of student harassment lost.