Thread: Decisions...
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Beechlover
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: E-190/175/170

Originally Posted by Pilotandrew View Post
Would it benefit me to have Single Pilot time, and 2000 hours TPIC, or CRM time and sit at a regional for 6.5+ years like guys are doing these days?
I would say that Part 121 Jet/FMS/EFIS Time is more marketable than Single Pilot TPIC (IF) your ultimate goal is make your career destination a major or LCC Airline. Once you get around 3500 to 4000 hrs total time.., you WILL have marketable pilot experience to move on to the next level in your career.

But a 4yr degree (in my opinion) will most certainly be necessary to be COMPETITIVE at the "Legacy" carriers.., eg Delta, United, American. This could change with demand, that Im sure will most certainly increase as retirements kick in.

If your goal is to go to the LCC Carriers ie.., Spirit, Virgin, Allegiant, Frontier, JetBlue even. You could get by with (previously stated SIC experience) with a two yr degree or no degree and internal recs.

If your ultimate goal is to fly for a Heavy freight operator such as ATLAS, OMNI, etc I really can't speak to these as I have no experience, But just thinking in public here, maybe THIS career path would be best served by going to America Flight and getting freight, as well as TPIC Single pilot. Not sure on education level either.

FEDEX and UPS tend to be VERY COMPETITIVE so I say that everything you would do to make yourself marketable to the major airlines, and a heavy freight hauler, plus a degree, plus internal recs and you MIGHT have a chance at an interview at these places lol.

Bottom line without further education, you Will likely achieve Captain in a good regional flying jets, or an LCC which is fine. The income is decent and Ive flown with many Captains who were career pilots at my previous carrier and were VERY HAPPY.

Again this is just one guy's personal thoughts and opinion. You are absolutely asking the right questions. Questions that I asked as I was coming through all this and I only hope I was able to provide you with some useful info or food for thought. Best of luck to us all!