Thread: Vacancy Bid
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 PM
CALFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by Probe View Post
So you guys are saying it is all going smoothly?
acancies before displacements makes no sense to me. I was surprised to not see a big displacement bid right after ISL. I can't see NOT bumping 757 l-UAL pilots. A bump is much better than a bid, I doubt most 757 pilots would bid off if they are getting paid to not fly.

To the CAL pilots who think they will bump right back to the same position, bumps are not single bids. There will be multiple displacement bids, until manpower gets the numbers they want. What this means is perhaps a pilot can bump to the same position, but the next week when the next bump comes out, he gets bumped again, this time somewhere downhill.

Let the bumps begin.
Vacancies before displacement makes perfect sense in a healthy airline that is experiencing massive retirements. If 747 and 777 captains retire, it is logical that 76 capts will move up. Add to that the 76 cap's retiring (not to mention 747 and 767 fo's) and a great number of the reductions on the 756 fleet are satisfied prior to displacement bidding.

All the company has to do is to set the min low on the 756 and wait for the pilots to leave on their own. What displacements that do occur do not mean that pilots will be bumped out of their seat as another vacancy bid is almost guaranteed prior to 120 days after the displacement.

As for pilots not bidding out so they can get paid not to work, my guess is that extremely inefficient trips (14 days off for 80 hours) will probably solve that problem.