Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 PM
JohnnyG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by wessidemike View Post
Your post hits very close to home. While I do not have near the time you have, I am on a similar path. I've been out of the flying loop for about 7 years now. I made the bad decision to get out, take my time going to college, and now I'm 31 graduated but with little desire/means to get a desk job. I'm seriously thinking about going back to flying. In fact in about an hour I have a meeting with a local flight school to discuss my options for finishing my CFI. The dilemma is to I take the jump or not. I have enough money saved up (from the last few years messing around as a bartender) to fund the rest of my ratings plus a few tough years at a regional. I wish i didn't have to choose between a more secure future with a boring desk job and a passion which just so happens to be a difficult career in aviation.

It's really, really rough right now. Without 1,500 hours you're not going anywhere, and if you manage to land an interview at a regional even then, you're fighting with guys who have tons of experience.