Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 AM
greedyairlineexec
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320

Originally Posted by wannabepilot View Post
Soooo.....there are no non-union pilots at places like Delta, Continental, etc...and you couldn't be hired at one of those airlines, or any regional carrier that had a union? And...even if you are not a member of a union, you stay pay the "dues," but cannot vote?

I'm a sophomore in college and majoring in something totally unrelated to aviation. I just am trying to figure out how everything in the airline industry works. I am trying to make a decision on whether or not to begin the long road to becoming an airline pilot. I know I want to get my Private because I love flying and have loved it since I was a child. I haven't decided if I want to pursue aviation as a career. I'm just trying to soak up as much information as I can and make an informed decision. These boards help greatly. Thanks for the info.

you can have a
job for a non union carrier. you will start flying as an instructor for a non unionized school, then you might go fly 135 for a non union freight or charter operator, then you might go fly for a union or non union regional, then you might go to work for a union or non union big yet perator( southern, trade winds ,polar...) then you might get your chance to go fly for a legacy and you will join the untion.

every time you get a union airline job you join the airline union, if you leave and work for a non union carrier you don't have a union to join. then, when you go work for another union carrier you join the union again. it is not like trade unions where you need to always work for union shops once you join. in aviation your membership becames inactive and then activates depending of carrieres representation or lack thereoff.