View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM
4A2B
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Frank,

I guess if I had a point to my last comment it would be that not "everyone" is bright enough to know when to call uncle, and as such it's up to the other crewmembers to recognize and to be on the lookout for poor performance, both in ourselves as well as the other pilot. I agree with you that it's not a managers place to tell one when he can or can't fly, based on perceived fitness for duty.
It is funny, or maybe disturbing, that this topic circulates through MGT on a regular basis. At the end of the day there appears to be more Corporate "risk" concern vs. conducting an actual "fitness for duty" evaluation. Knowing where a pilot physically was is not an objective or deciding factor on whether or not ANY pilot ,commuter or local, is ready to fly. Throw in the concerns of how to manage an augmented crew and it becomes a real mess.

The NTSB will do the same 72 hour (not 48) look back if something happens and they can evaluate real fatigue factors. For example the Colgan FO commuted all night from the west coast through MEM to EWR and then slept in the crew room before imitating a very long duty day and I am certain that was a factor that did not look good or add to that pilots alertness level.

All that being said, jumping into work when you are not protected from discipline is not a good move, especially since most long flights are part of a longer pay trip. It is still the pilots choice, period, and it is NOT duty. The only way to "fix" this problem is to have an objective look at each and every pilot at show and do an evaluation through interview and or scientific testing to analyze alertness levels. If we did that, not many jets would move at 0300. If a pilot proves to be not fit for duty, the other pilot(s) should either ask that pilot to call in fatigue or if not discovered until the flight commences discuss why the problems exists and if necessary utilize Pro Stan and/or ASAP. If MGT is worried about fatigue then they should be as pro active with taking back the control of some of these horrible pairings and stop picking low hanging fruit and once again blaming pilots for perceived bad habits.