Old 11-28-2013, 05:57 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I don't know Mike, you went there with military, right? With mil rules?

I know a few folks who did the T6 (PC9) thing in Saudi, they and families were pretty happy. They lived in their own walled city, inside of which it was basically Europe/America. And the money was pretty amazing. I'm tempted, but wife is a bit too apprehensive.

FlyArmy--I'd find out where you and family would be living, I think that would have the greatest effect on overall happiness. I'm guessing you haven't been able to track down anyone who held the job before?
I did mil to UAE and only have 2nd hand accounts from friends from RSAF. Other than what I'd consider mil rules that I'd have to obey even in the US, I really wasn't under any military specific constraints while I lived in the UAE. My family lived on the island of Abu Dhabi and pretty much lived on the economy like any expat would.

In regard to Saudi (not really applicable to UAE): If after serving for years to preserve American rights and freedoms, you consider being imprisoned in a walled city a good deal then I think it is likely we have very different reasons for having served. Go chase the dollar and good luck is all I can say for those who find this even remotely tempting.