Thread: Battle For Seattle: AS/DL Frenemies in 2014?

tsquare , 12-08-2013 08:48 AM
No longer cares
tsquare
No longer cares
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2008
  • Position
    767er Captain
Quote: That could very well be. Alaska management and the BOD have for the most part been against any merger. Of course we all know if they are going to make a bundle they will dump us yesterday.

There was a meeting with all the major players at Alaska here a week or so ago. I think this unrest with Ma Delta has gotten their attention, thus the move into SLC. It's also true that we can't cover all the flying that Delta needs to build their SEA international flying. The fact is we are extremely thin on staffing. We don't have the capacity to get the training done that we need to account for attrition and the current schedule let alone additional flying required to move Deltas international connections.

Things are changing here for sure. Rebranding the company, new uniforms etc...We are either going to expand and be a player or get gobbled up by someone. Time will tell.
What happens if you go exclusively with DAL and dump AMR and whoever else you are codesharing with? I think that would go a long way towards being able to provide those seats. It's a choice your CEO/BOD have made, and that's their business, but I think the gamble is blowing up a little. You had a great deal with the fly thru allowance of our hubs that you were getting, but I believe that is all gone very soon if not already...

As to the other scenario, I think you are way too expensive for anybody to buy right now. DAL has too much debt to do that at the moment, and everybody else is just now getting their mergers consummated... The one thing is though, your stock is relatively cheap, and you have a good balance sheet...