Thread: dui
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
L'il J.Seinfeld
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Brown

Originally Posted by Herkdrv View Post
Actually with a really good lawyer a civilian DUI could disappear. Military justice may just follow you for the rest of your life. Who knows I don't claim to be an expert all I know is that if you get caught lying, or being evasive through an interview it would not look good to the interviewer.
I agree. I am certainly no lawyer, but I am married to a JAG. I saw a lot of DUI cases from her offices. Some were buried while others were highlighted. An Art 15 is an Air Force career killer in most cases, but does not really impact your civilian prospects. SWA asked about Art 15s specifically but I don't think UPS ever did, they just wanted the last 5 OPRs. Tarheel's old chain of command gave him a gift and did not intend to convict him of a DUI. Otherwise they would have taken him to court.

For some reason it bothers me that Tarheel thinks of himself as having a DUI on his record. It is none of my business what he does, but there are degrees of the right way to handle this. Admitting full responsibility and admitting to a DUI is the wrong way IMO because it isn't the truth. The truth is some Commander, who was probably a pilot, decided that whatever he did was not worth going to court over.