View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Again, all of you are just talking about which one will save your ticket. I have yet to see any ASAP information disseminated outside company walls in a format that will save other pilots and their passengers. The only ASAP information I have EVER seen to date has been through my brother who is at a carrier with ASAP, and that is because HE sent it to me.
ASRS is disseminated to anyone and everyone who wants it. If critical, dangerous safety issues are identified by the ASRS program they are made public ASAP. Given a choice between saving my ticket and saving lives, I will choose the lives first.
Not true, since the FAA sits on each company's ASAP committee, the governing FSDO can take information back to other companies and installations to help get things changed (thus preventing similar recurrences by other crews at ANY airline or operation). Further more, some ASAP committees are very willing to share deidentified ASAP reports with other ASAP participant operators. (We used to get the occassional UAL ASAP report when it coincided with our operations).

A good example of this was the Korry 2 Arrival (now the Korry 3) into LGA. Several years back the stepdowns on the arrival were changed after several ACA crews missed mandatory altitude restrictions. Each of these crews submitted ASAP reports explaining how the high rate of descent and both maximum and minimum mandatory altitudes for particular fixes (such as cross XYZ between 11,000 and 12000 resulted in irregular descent profiles, that required varying descent angles/rates.

The consequence? The procedure was changed. The same holds true of many other reports that have been submitted. ASAP data is certainly used mostly in-house, however procedures used by everybody are adapted in a much more timely matter through ASAP reporting.

That said, anybody who fills out an ASAP report should also (and is highly encouraged) to fill out a corresponding ASRS report. But if you're only going to fill out one report, from a career standpoint, your're going to be much better off if you fill out the ASAP report.