View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 AM
pilotmec
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: BE-90GTx/200/350; CE-500; BE-400

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Nope, just a flight and an oral (I think the examining inspector wrote down the "answers", but it was verbal). The oral is more like dumbed-down private pilot type questions. Seriously, nothing to sweat if you are a pilot and deserve your certificate. I can't divulge the actual questions, but it's stupid-simple for pilots. Supposedly this became part of the checkride because people were washing out during the flight. This helped to boost the success rate significantly of those who made it to the flight. I don't know if they change the questions based on if you are going for a GA Ops or Air Transport position, but I would not sweat it. I was sweating it when they called me a day ahead of time to do the "oral", thinking that I wouldn't be ready, but it was so easy that no study was needed. Assuming you've made it through aviation on your own merits and actually met the standards, I wouldn't be worried.
You should at least have good basic knowledge of the regs. I had numerous questions concerning the regs. (Mostly 61 & 91, some 121 & 135)
The flight portion was basic instrument check to the standards of the certificate held, ie, commercial standards or ATP standards.
If the check pilot offers to operate the radios, perform the checklists when called for or program the GPS, let them. Back them up by checking data entered but you basically have to fly the aircraft in that instance. They are looking for good CRM then.