Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM
redrida
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by trytofly View Post
Hi, I have a very simple question that I can not find a clear answer for.

I have a medical coming up for renewal and am wondering if cannabis/THC is tested for in a normal medical (class 1). Everything I have read says the urine analysis is for kidney disease only, and makes no mention of 'drug' testing, but obviously I would like to be sure.

Now before everyone starts laying into me for smoking mj, please just keep this on topic and hold back your negative comments. I only want factual advice regarding my FAA medical, hopefully from an AME. I have no problem asking my doctor directly, however anonymous advice would be better if possible. I know there will be a lot of people here that will not, or will refuse to understand my personal decisions and probably will result in some negative responses, but I would like to avoid that if possible. If you must know about my choice read the next paragraph and I'll give you some details as an attempt to avoid multiple negative replies with no useful information.

First off I'm not a stereotype pothead, hippie or stoner that most pilots associate with as soon as they hear 'cannabis use'. I'm a responsible user that only smokes occasionally in the privacy of my own home, you won't ever find me 'high' in public, and you would probably never know I smoke even if you knew me personally (like many others I suspect). I understand that many flight jobs require testing, this does not affect me currently or in the foreseeable future. If the situation changes, I will re-evaluate my decisions. I have studied the effects of mj extensively and have made a personal decision to use it occasionally to relieve stress, anxiety, and insomnia. Other (legal) medications don't work nearly as well and have nasty side effects that I prefer to avoid. I would never fly high and have a personal minimums of 24 hours from last felt effects to doing anything flight related, but never use them because its normally a week or few weeks between smoking and flying. As far as the law, I make the choice to break the law just like many of you may chose to speed, roll through a stop sign, not wear your seat belt, or even jaywalk, they are all minor misdemeanors, except my choice will not effect anyone else. I view MJ laws as silly, outdated and politically driven, again this opinion comes after much research. If the concern was really getting dangerous substances out of the hands of the public and took a scientific [logical] approach, tobacco and alcohol would be outlawed way before MJ was even mentioned. I'm well educated, have an impeccable employment history and am a responsible, contributing member to my community. I feel that in no way does MJ use on my own time affect my ability to do my job to its fullest extent, and my employers (past and present) would no doubt agree if they knew.

So please keep this on topic and simply tell me if you know for a fact weather or not THC is tested for in a normal class 1 medical. Provide links or references if you can.

Thanks.
No

Best Regards