View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 AM
SlipKid
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by REF 5 View Post

SWA is heavily union. Every major work group is represented. Unity is key.
Yeah, all but the pilots!

If you don't like your leadership, better get involved and get them out or get people that represent the majority of membership.
Well, I don't like what passes for leadership, but unfortunately, they do represent the majority. The problem is that the majority, although the margin is getting slimmer by the day, are by and large apathetic kool aid swillers that will vote yes on anything put in front of them. How many other unions would put out major side letters during a stalled section 6, endorse them as (somehow) beneficial to the pilots, and reap NOTHING from them? How many other pilot groups would buy into it and vote these side letters in during section 6 negotiations?

Every election, we get a few free thinking, pilot advocates voted in, but it's never enough to swing the tide.

Oh, and I've had my hat in the ring several times both here and at ALPA carriers, and I blame my hair loss on it. This group is by far the most difficult to represent, likely by design.

I would hope that the leadership of SWAPA as at least listening to its members and trying to get a consensus on what's acceptable and more importantly what's realistic.
See above.

The worse thing to happen is the union try to sell you a pot of gold and your NC comes back with a bag of sand.
Oh, like TA 1 (which led to TA 2, which became our current contract) where, and I quote the (then) president: "We got everything we wanted, and nothing we didn't". This was the first, ever, contract voted down by SWApA membership, albeit by a slim margin.

A no growth airline TA is a lot harder to sell to its members because demographics.
Not around here. While Gary is saying "flattish" they'll spread a rumor that as long as we vote yes (on whatever is placed in front of us), we'll see massive GROWTH! It's worked for just about every issue in the last decade and I'll bet my A fund that it'll work again.....

Senior Capts/senior FO's/junior capts/junior FO's and of course that happy CAST MD(Camp of Airtran Shut the Mother f** down) scorch the earth guys all want different stuff and needs as far as QOL stuff. Junior guys want better reserve and senior guys want retirement. All of course want more pay. Hopefully better heads will prevail and neither side get's ugly to get a TA. Something that SWA management and employees really don't need or want.
I've got my fingers crossed that the AT folks will see beyond their blind rage and get the big picture, and interject some reason into the average SW line pilot's perspective, but I am not holding my breath. On either count.