View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
There is one thing that both the military and airlines do, that the GA sector would benefit from, safety wise, and that is some type of recurrent training once per year. I know they do a BFR, but that's inadequate and doesn't go deep enough.

I'm talking about doing a real training/review program that takes a couple days of study, a written test, then a flight check too.

The problem with that is, it takes time and money and nobody wants to spend either one, just to be a safer pilot.
I really do not think that that would help, and likely just add a lot of hassle, regulation, and profit-making opportunity for those subcontractors with new "weekend currency courses." A good pilot remains current anyway, and does not need forced formal training. A bad pilot will just study for the test and slog through -- the BFR should catch these guys anyway.

At some point it is up to the individual pilot to stay current and fly within his or her ability. I think the BFR setup as it is is actually pretty good, and can be customized as needed.

If anything I think that more aggressive policing of drivers' licenses would be more needed than that of airmen, but that's another story.