Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 AM
CrakPipeOvrheat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by outaluckagain View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrakPipeOvrheat

Fellow pilots,

I've been contemplating for years about leaving this career mainly for the money. I want start a family and I can't support them and save for retirement on 35k/yr. I don't want to spend money or time to go back to school. I just can't think of anything else I'd be good at or would enjoy doing. All I've ever wanted to do is fly for an airline. I love the job but I feel like it's time to grow up, put my big boy pants on and get a real job.

I want to leave but don't know how or what I should do with my life. Any thoughts? I thought maybe a truck driver.

I am not sure whether it has been addressed here before, but how about Flight Dispatcher? You may have to start at a regional though, which is pretty low pay. From there you can move to a major or charter like Atlas.

A friend of mine worked in OPS FA scheduling at a major when he got his dispatcher rating, and moved on to a charter. The guy makes $90K/year.

Look into it and see what the chances are. Maybe one of the charters would hire you sooner since you have been a pilot. They have to be hiring though.
Thanks. I'm seriously going to consider this.