View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Another thing

Another thing I have learned is that real jobs are hard work. Seems silly to mention however as pilots we are able to lull ourselves into thinking that we are having fun. A real job makes it difficult to create any illusions about having fun while at work.

Over time however almost any job can become challenging and rewarding though. The satisfaction that comes from being respected by your employer, earning a fair wage, and having access to a regular life is also very endearing to having a real job. It is nice not to have to worry about medicals or checkrides. Your value to the world is based upon what you can do over what you will do. Over time your sense of accomplishment and self respect returns.

I tell my kids that if you want to have control and affluence in your life to find the biggest pile of crud and dive in head first. If the job is unappealing and difficult enough few will follow and your value to the world will become greater over time. We get what we pay for in life. As pilots we expect to play and work and as a result we get a pretend paycheck and imaginary life.

Skyhigh