View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM
navigatro
Permanent Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by caliboy60 View Post
You guys have any advice on the viper unit out of Fresno. I'm 24 just got on with an airline and have 2 years left in college. What do you guys recommend I do to help get me in the door for F-16's?
Finish your degree. Enlist in the unit. Make sure you can pass the USAF flight physical and fit test. Get to know some of the pilots in the unit. Have a clean background. Have a good personality and a firm handshake. Be a type A. Know what you are getting into i.e. being a pilot in a combat airframe in the USAF. Understand what training is required and what your military commitment entails. Know what airframe a unit flies before you apply. Be willing to move anywhere and join any unit that offers you a pilot slot. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut at OTS and UPT. Learn how to talk with your hands. Start referring to your head as cranium. Learn how to blame everyone else but yourself.

Ok, the last 3 are only half serious.

Start with #1.

Oh, and if you do get in the unit, and get an ART job, don't do an active duty day and Technician day simultaneously - you will end up in prison.