View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 11:16 AM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display

Originally Posted by pilotrob23 View Post
Listen, this is was sounds plausible. Until you hear the aircraft is flying to waypoints, and for hours and hours. Maybe a fire took out the ACARS, transponder, etc., but the climbs and descents, and point to point flying after the fact are key points here. I am waiting for more facts here, too much political influence going on, and the whole story is not being told. Gets weirder and weirder.
I hadn't heard about the known-waypoints (and if that is true, how close did they get? Just "near," or dead-on? And if dead-on, where is the tracking information that proved it? That would suggest they knew where it was). There are lots of known-waypoints in the world, so just flying randomly, one could argue it appeared it was deliberate navigation.

If I recall correctly, the A-320 had seven Flight-Control computers; four primary, and three that did some auxiliary function, and they are all located in the cockpit. I am making an assumption the 777 is similar, and if the E&E fire scenario is plausible, it would also support the premise the aircraft could continue to fly thereafter.