View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
I hadn't heard about the known-waypoints (and if that is true, how close did they get? Just "near," or dead-on? And if dead-on, where is the tracking information that proved it? That would suggest they knew where it was). There are lots of known-waypoints in the world, so just flying randomly, one could argue it appeared it was deliberate navigation.

If I recall correctly, the A-320 had seven Flight-Control computers; four primary, and three that did some auxiliary function, and they are all located in the cockpit. I am making an assumption the 777 is similar, and if the E&E fire scenario is plausible, it would also support the premise the aircraft could continue to fly thereafter.
Yes, I'd be very curious to see the plane's LNAV track in relation to the known waypoints. Sharp turns and straight lines between waypoints would pretty much seal the deal for deliberate action. But apparently FAA, NTSB, and US Intel already reached the conclusion that the lateral track was not random meandering. They don't jump to public conclusions as quickly as some other entities might.