View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Tweetdrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: A-300 F/O

Before the new ATP requirements took over, I would have said go to a regional. The reason, to open another path to PIC, and cushion yourself from those "voluntary deployment" opportunities, and as a means of having sanity. When the regional got to be too much, string together a month's worth of AT, AFTPs, and RUTAs. When the squadron got low on funds, go fly at the regional. Whichever one gave the upgrade first, was the one to start flying for more than the other. I have known several UPT grads to 130 units who have done this very thing, but they also lived at their military job's location. Several of them thought they would upgrade in the squadron first, then the money and training slots dried up, and now they are 121 Captains and logging PIC.

I don't know the answer now. With the war drawing down, and the current fiscal climate, the hours are going to dwindle. I would imagine the competition for TDYs and flying hours is going to get ugly in units with lots of bums/ troughers. I agree with Hindsight about the idea of more SIC is not going to help. You need an ATP, and 1,500 hours. Have you thought about flight instructing at a flight school where you live? A UPT T-6 grad plus your time in the MWS makes you an ideal candidate for a CFI. You already have the commercial single and multi. You could pick up some commercial for hire flying. I did my CFI after UPT and 1000 hrs in the 130, and flew a lot of photo flights and some other stuff as well as flight instructing. The other thread on the army helo driver looking for FW time mentioned jump schools as a time builder. No cross country time, but you'll get that and night time in the mil plane.

Good luck.