View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 05:55 AM
full of luv
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right

Originally Posted by Fins Up View Post
It is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that, while ALPA represented AT during the merger, AT was still operating under their old contract developed by NPA which lacked critical language forcing full integration of operations. This is how SWA would have been able to keep the lists separate, siphon of AT planes and let the AT pilots go when they didn't need them. (All theoretical, of course.)
Fins,
I honestly don't know, because in the end it didn't matter.... AT pilots VOTED yes on the deal in front of them, so as soon as that happened, it's done, complete. Bottom line was that SWA and SWAPA teamed up to make sure the AT group felt threatened enough to get it done. If they voted no would the company have done more integration, or would they have broken them up? No one knows for sure because they voted yes. I'm sure with ALPA's support they were at least able to get some experienced legal counsel and accounting experts to evaluate SWA/PA's intent. Is Bubs making the case that without ALPAS resources the AT pilot group would have been in a better position to deal with SWA/PA? Would JB as a un-unioned carrier do better negotiating with SWA/PA in the same instance?
Heck, some people say that Frontier's union integration stance is what kept SWA/PA away from that deal a few years ago.