View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 AM
Fins Up
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Passed out in my hammock

Originally Posted by cmesoar View Post
Here is a question. I really have not heard any support from DAL or UAL. These are supposed to be in our peer set but if we vote in this association, are they going to look down on us from their top group A? ALPA has given me NO information on how we will be placed in their priority. I strongly believe this is what management will use when we negotiate for years under section six. As a matter of fact, ALPA has given me no information at all really, just some talking points on how this is better for us and a magazine article. Hear me out, if we are looked at on the same level as a large regional or better, Spirit, you can throw our current peer set out the window. This management team will run with it. I want answers from ALPA. Nothing really matters yet since we are on day 2, and I don't have a ballot anyway. I bet DAL would have had their ballots on time.. Ok after my tiny rant, I am still pro CBA as I believe the DR is a failed model that I would not even wipe my A$$ with.
Look at Hawaiian and Alaska Airlines. They are both smaller pilot groups than us, are ALPA, and have better contracts. I'd say they both have just as good a relationship with their management, probably better, than we have right now.

It's hard for ALPA to set goals for a first contract for us since it will be US jetblue pilots deciding what we want and what our priorities our. It wouldn't surprise me if our management tries to give us some sh!tty contract but I really don't think they'll have a leg to stand on. Should it go to arbitration, how would they justify agreeing to anything less than we have now when we are still well below average with our combined comp-benefits package?

The idea of "five to six years negotiations" is one of the biggest scare tactics the company will use. Groups in our peer set are getting their contracts done much quicker these days - even before the amendable date passes in some cases. I have to as you this: Do you plan on making jetblue for a career? If so, you need to think long term. A few years to get a good solid, enforceable contract is a small price (in my mind anyway). If you are not planning on staying here then please don't hamstring the rest of the pilot group be helping management maintain total control over our lives. You can always abstain if you're not sure what the best course is.

Everything you read here is amateur speculation on a chat board. If you would like answers to your specific concerns, I recommend contacting Ron Rindfleisch. He is the Organizing Committees representative from ALPA. I have talked to him several times and he is a great guy. Not pushy. He'll just answer your questions. His contact info is:
Ron “Rino” Rindfleisch
ALPA Organizing
703-689-4179 Office
[email protected]

I'm on the OC but I am certainly no expert in any of this stuff. Feel free to PM me as well if you like. If I don't have answers, I'll find someone who does.

Thanks.