View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by cmesoar View Post

... if we don't use our current silo system for proper seniority representation, we will fail. Or at least the junior members is suffer.

Originally Posted by shiznit View Post

You can have a CA/FO rep in every base or do it in blocks of seniority. Each method has positives and negatives.

Your elected reps will construct a Policy Manual and implement the representative structure, but it must be equitable and comply with the ALPA Constitution and By-Laws. 80+ years of refining the C&BL has ensured a solid system that represents members fairly.

Originally Posted by pilotpayne View Post

Silo system....nothing else.

We have one chance at this and I don't want a bunch of senior bus guys from FLL running everything.
I voted for ALPA but I really hope we keep the silo system.

We do have many FO's who could hold Captain, so while I understand the Captain/FO rep deal I like the silo system better. I feel it offers a really good balance.

Originally Posted by Fins Up View Post

I like the silo system too. No reason we can't set up our committees that way.

Originally Posted by Flyby1206 View Post

+1

Another vote for the silo system.

Originally Posted by cmesoar View Post

Fairly? The current Association system is not going to work here. Like the others say we have senior FOs in every base. I don't care if it has been 80 or 8 years, the current Association system just won't cut it here. The Junior members get stepped on every time in ALPAs configuration. The current silo system or something very similar will work. If we vote the Association in and we get unequal representation of all the pilots on property, I will be on board to de-certify them after we get our first CBA. I want a union that represents ALL the pilots at JB, not an association that collects dues and favors the senior members.

Originally Posted by Bluedriver View Post

I fully expect our silo system to remain. I will be VERY ****ed off if it is not.

Originally Posted by Bluedriver View Post

As usual, Payne is correct. Silo system only.

Now just wait until after the vote and a group of our pilots that demands the more traditional setup, of course for THIER own benefit. Hope I'm wrong. Really hope I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Fly4hire View Post

By SILO I'm assuming you mean block representation? The ALPA Constitution & By Laws provide for that, and it has advantages for largely single domicile airlines.

Silo system, what we have now = a seniority block system.

I don't know exactly what a "silo" system is, but the context clues I'm picking up lead me to believe it is a system of representation based more on seniority than seat status or base. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure there will be a race to post a correction.

Before Fedex Pilots Assoication (FPA) merged with ALPA, there was only one representation structure allowed by the Constitution and By-Laws (C&B-L). FPA used a seniority block system of representation which more fairly represented pilots in a very large domicile compared to their peers in very small domiciles. As part of the FPA/ALPA merger, the C&B-L was changed to allow Block Representatives. Today, our largest domicile has 8 Blocks of pilots arranged by seniority. Except for pilots who are Flex Instructors, Line Check Airmen, Standards Check Airmen, etc., the number of pilots in the domicile is divided by 8 (not an arbitrary number, but a number that is determined and adjusted according the size of the domicile), and representation blocks are arranged according to seniority. The 400 most senior are in Block 1, the next 400 most senior are in Block 2, and so on. That gives us 8 Block Reps in Memphis, where the previous ALPA system would have given us a Captain Rep, and First Officer Rep, and, when we still had them, as Second Officer Rep. With roll call votes, 2 Representatives could pretty much run the show while ANC, LAX, HKG, and CGN Reps were along for the ride. Under the Seniority Block Representative system we use, the most junior pilots get the same vote as the most senior, and the 120 folks in Hong Kong get a fair voice and a fair shake.

I think the Seniority Block System is what I hear Jetblue pilots asking for. If not, I think ALPA should be receptive to changing C&B-L to adapt to fair systems of representation. For what it's worth, I think the story at USAir would have been much different had the Seniority Block system been in place. The more equitable distribution of voting power would have prevented the concentration of power in "Super Reps" which allowed them to drag the entire group down the road to where they are today.

This is an example of change for the better. New blood, new ideas, and new energy are good for the health of the organization, and for the success of all of its members. This is not your Daddy's ALPA.

Oh, and one more thing ... It's a common complaint that ALPA is only concerned about the senior pilot. I hear it a lot from people who say they're too busy to participate. They've got kids to raise, college to pay for, all sorts of family commitments to attend to. Some day, when they're not so busy, they promise they'll step up to the plate and serve ... when they're senior. Go figger ...