View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 AM
u2drvr
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: SWA/FO

Originally Posted by ryane946 View Post
Here's a link to a good thread I would like everyone to scroll through. You don't even have to read it, just skim through.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=11187

I happen to live here. Sorry for those of you who live in the middle of nowhere who have no respect for the environment/outdoors. I really wished you lived somewhere like California. Maybe you'd understand.

Ya, that is smog. Mostly from cars. Even if you refuse to believe global warming, you have to know that humans are hurting the environment. I could post millions of these types of pictures, but I simply don't have the time.
OK, so what is your point?

I posted the pictures in the thread you reference and I live in California and I love the outdoors and respect the environment. None of those things have anything to do with global warming, so again...what is your point?

The picture of smog was probably taken on a bad day in LA. If you were around in the 70's you would have seen far worse smog in LA pretty much every day. It is much better today. I have seen pictures of the LA basin in the 20's and there was smog/haze in those too. The majority of what you see is haze from water vapor. In the LA basin the winds blow everything up against the mountains and all the smog and haze just hangs out because it has nowhere to go. Again, this isn't global warming, it's primarily orographic weather.

What research have you done on this issue other than watch an extremely biased and inaccurate movie produced by a politician? Before you presume to preach to others, do some study and research both sides of this debate. I consider myself a scientist and have read many research papers(not just blogs, movies, or other biased sources) and I remain unconvinced by the arguments of the global warming alarmists. I do not dismiss the theory completely, but I do not think the theory/research is conclusive enough to take the kind of drastic action that is being considered and advocated by you and many politicians.

I you want to make a credible argument to this forum, do it on the basis of real science. There are good arguments on both sides of the debate, but you haven't made any good arguments for your point of view yet.

U2DRVR