View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by evamodel00 View Post
If you've just touched down in a 172 at say 60 knots and you're not completely straight, can too much right rudder/nose wheel turning flip you over on your side in a tricycle gear plane? I get a little nervous sometimes pumping in a lot of rudder at once.
I hope you aren't touching down at 60kts, you may approach at 60-65kts, but you're going to slow down, arrest your descent rate, and touch down at a speed far slower than 60kts. The reason I'm stressing this is that touching down at 60kts would require forcing the aircraft on the runway, which would make a pilot induced oscillation likely. While more rare in tricycle aircraft, they are still possible and I've seen the effects (there are some videos too).

Otherwise, it's pretty hard to flip a tricycle gear airplane if you are doing things halfway right and understand it.

If you touch down and are you were drifting sideways just prior to touching down, you'll still be drifting sideways on the runway after touching down. Physics say a body in motion will remain in motion. If you try to swing the nose around to bring it back to the middle because it's drifting (like you would a car), it's the completely incorrect control input and you might stuff one of the landing gear into a taxi light, sign or the soft edge of the dirt, thereby greatly increasing the chances of flipping it. Tailwheel makes a tricycle seem like cake though.