View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM
evamodel00
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And that's what you'd do with a car. Trying to "turn" it back is more like driving a car or being at taxi speeds, but the airplane is still "flying" if you've just landed. You need to counter drift with the right control, which is aileron. If you are trying to reverse your drift, you need aileron and rudder. Keep in mind that trying to turn at excessive speed on the ground can "tip" the airplane, and it becomes all that much more amplified when the airplane was already drifting in that direction, leading to a "flip" or ending up something other than right side up given how much energy was involved in the situation. I've seen lots of people "let go" of wind correction once the tires touch the ground, or not correlate to use the same corrections to correct a situation where you are off the centerline or moving towards an edge. These people usually over-relied on the nosewheel steering/rudder to do what they needed. Much of the time they get away with this with no issue, but every once and a while, it bites back.

ah ok thanks for the clarification. I did a lot of reading on it today and i believe I just need many more days practicing in the pattern. I'm also going to try and see if an instructor will teach me on his tailwheel plane. I'm assuming jumping to something less forgiving will whip me into shape to stay on that centerline.