View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
VTcharter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by kalyx522 View Post
Thanks guys for the response to my "Big Sky or Colgan" thread a little while back. I chose Colgan. While it's far from my dream company (I don't even know if I have a dream company within the regionals), I thought maybe it will work out after all and I could actually stay in this company till I upgrade instead of the lateral moves that I would have inevitably made had I gone with Piedmont or Comair which were initially my top choices. (And if you're wondering why I would've had to make lateral moves, it's cuz upgrade at both companies are super long.)

Now I have another choice, Trans States. Again, this is kind of a toughie cuz neither is hugely better than the other. If I went with Colgan I would probably stay long enough to upgrade. Of course I might end up hating the company but if the upgrade is 1.5-2 years, then I would really try to stay instead of making a lateral move and prolonging the process of getting that turbine PIC. If I went with Trans States I would probably stay just a few months (if that) and then go grab that sign-on bonus at RAH afterwards.

I've read many threads here on Trans States but never in relation to Colgan. what do yall think.
Be careful with your train of thought here. With this industry, especially in the present, you shouldn't go to a company with plans on leaving in a few months for something better that may or may not exist when a few months rolls around. What would happen if the industry takes a dump tomorrow and hiring slows, signing bonuses go away and you are stuck at a carrier that you despise. Think about these things as you make your choices. Go somewhere that you think you could be happy for a while, and if something better comes along down the road, worry about taking it at that time.