View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Be it ever so humble..

Guys commute for all the reasons you stated. I was all set to move, and every time I was about ready, something happened. The first 4 years, I kept getting "up" movment opportunities, and the last three, it was all "down."

After 9-11, I was thankful I had not moved, was not stuck with a new (bigger) mortgage, no job, in a city I didn't want to live in, other than the ease of getting to work.

So, why do people commute? I would venture:

1. They like where they currently live (or the attachments, such as kids in school, friends, cost of living, etc)

2. They can't afford to move

3. Uncertainty--they aren't sure where they will end up, a few years down the road from being a new-hire.

Having been in the airline biz for 16 years now, I am more convinced than ever that I will have no guarantee as to what is happening here until I retire.

As to bigger equipment/competitors:

I think the 76ers might help a little (same boat for me with load-limited 50s). But, there is an old adage in the government/city-planning/societal-studies field. When a two-lane road gets congested, they eventually build a four-lane.

But it doesn't help. More people move in, and the process repeats itself. Sort of a "If they build it, they will come."

I think air travel tends to follow the same. They wouldn't be putting that equipment in there if they didn't anticipate the people to fill the seats.

More SWA jets means more SWA commuters...you get the idea.

For me, I would like to move; wife won't. I live with bidding the shortest (and hopefully, easiest) commute I can get.

SOMEDAY I'll move to where I actually want to live....(it's not a United domicile).