View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Tom a Hawk
What’s it doing now?

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 190CA

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Looking for some feedback from folks who've been there, done that. I just retired from the USAF & was fortunate enough to be hired by United last fall. We've decided to move closer to family, but haven't settled on a location yet.

All through training, I heard "live in your domicile" and while that would greatly simplify life, none of the domiciles jazz me or my wife for the long term. We both like the Nashville area, but everything is RJ out of there.

Currently reserve on the Bus in EWR, but considering a lateral to IAH or maybe ORD in the fall. Here are some random thoughts I've had on the subject of commuting vs. living in domicile:

- Will the SkyWest purchase of larger RJs make commuting easier (i.e. less chances of being weight restricted)?
in theory yes, if those planes are assigned to your route but frequency is more important than size. If the last flight home leaves before your trip ends it doesn't matter how big it was.

- Commuting while on reserve definitely blows, but once I'm a line holder & can trade/drop for QOL, will that make commuting less odious?
yes it will

- If SWA opens a domicile in BNA (I just heard rumors), will that make getting in and out of BNA easier or harder?
never trust rumors, and I doubt if swa had a lot of growth in bna to warrant a domicile they would be going to ORD, ewr, or iah.

- I've heard the percentage of guys living in domicile vs. commuting is 40/60--true? For those who commute, why do you choose not to live in your domicile?
depends on the domicile. For jetblue JFK is 80% commuters, MCO is 80% locals.

- For those who commute on RJs, what other pitfalls are there? I know SkyWest pilots get first crack at the jumpseats, but what else?
regionals cancel more frequently than mainline, although Skywest is pretty good. But it may be someone different doing the route any given month.

Appreciate the feedback.
I commute to my current airline. I used to live in base at my old job. Reserve in base might be the best qol job ever, pay usually isn't really high though. Commuting to reserve might be the worst. Some people can commute and some people can't. If you choose to do so you really need to love where you live. Then commuting just something that enables you to do what you love.