View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
The Juice
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

I think many on here need a refresher on Schoolhouse Rock's "Im just a bill."

An amendment added to an unresolved House resolution....we have a long way to go...
While true, it's attached to the DOT funding and the amendment was passed unanimously. You think DOT is going to slug it out over NAIs application when their bankroll is on the line?
It passed unanimously with a "voice vote" as are the majority of amendments added on to a bill. It's how everyone can add their bits and pieces to a bill. 44 amendments were added to this bill, 11 by unanimous vote. House Amendment 807 (NAI amendment) was one of the 44 to be added to 4745

I don't think the DOT cares about the amendment at all because they want their money for 2015. 4745 has many things in it, and House Amendment could be removed at any time during the process. So no, the DOT won't fight it, as it is not their fight to begin with, it's NAI and their lobbyists

I applaud ALPAs effort in this fight, and support it 100%. I however felt their FastRead was a bit "murky" on the details on what actually happened in the House, evident with all of the postings about "NAI being dead"

I hope it continues to gain support to defeat NAIs application. However much can still happen between passing the House, Senate, conference committee, and Obama. Who knows what NAI might spend to lobby to get that amendment tossed out in conference? It would be chopped out in a second with a back room deal and all is for nothing. I hope it doesn't happen, but this is Congress we are talking about.

As a side, some interesting parts of HR 4745. These are the "laws" our elected officials are working on:

(Sec. 152) Bars the use of funds for Amtrak to pay overtime costs in excess of $35,000 for any Amtrak employee.

(Sec. 115) Prohibits the obligation of funds for an FAA employee to purchase a store gift card or gift certificate through use of a government-issued credit card.

...and my favorite...

(Sec. 413) Prohibits the use of funds under this Act for first-class airline accommodations in contravention of specified federal regulations.