View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
...It doesn't matter what they say, because US jobs are a very small part of the pilot shortage...which is why so many countries are now courting US pilots...
It doesn't matter to you what a non-invested government research office that is staffed with educated researchers with no particular dog in the current fight have to say about this topic? I am starting to understand your failure to use quality data sources. You read garbage by industry wonks then come here and spew it to us. We need to put this borderline fairy tale about a pilot shortage on hold for a while, and talk about what a good source of data is. You cite some fellow working for the RAA while the rest of us return academic and government sources such as the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, peer-reviewed economics theory, and the FAA to name a few. Do you not see anything significant here? Cliff, you want to use unmotivated sources. Again, unmotivated sources.

...Those charts are COMPLETELY misleading. You need to look at NEWLY licensed pilots...not existing.
We do? Newly made ATPs are included in that table and chart. Looking at private pilots, student pilots or boy scouts who like flying is not what we want. We want ready made pilots, train and employ. And that's what those charts show you. And it shows that we have too any ATPs for the number of flying jobs we have in the US. You always want to throw the world into the mix, but I refuse to talk about that. I speak about the US and there is no shortage of pilots in the US.

... Many flight schools are filled to the brim with foreign cadet pilots. Do you think a chinese pilot, with no green card, and his training paid for by China Southern will be applying at DAL anytime soon???
I am all for a free discussion on how many "active ATPs" per FAA lingo are not actually available to work as pilots here in the US. That is a valid discussion and there are some. But you have ZERO DATA on how many there are, nor do I. All we know is there is a large number of pilots with ATPS ready to work here.