View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
HKFlyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Default PIC authority 121.547 vs 121.583

Originally Posted by 4A2B View Post
All good questions and from what I know it changes daily, first based primarily on the ALPA Grievance and FAA not happy with Check Airman doing these QA rides and now with the new FO squadron who knows what they do. I suggest asking your Fleet Captain where to find out the program details and SOP.

As for giving them a ride, I think the part of where they sit or maybe not go at all is up to the Captain just like any PIC Authority decision when it comes to seats in the Cockpit (all 121.583 seats, like all in 767/777).
Just some discussion, YMMV, and each PIC must make his or her own decision. The following offered and to the best of my knowledge is pretty accurate on the lay of the land with jumpseats. I will ask the Jumpeat guy at the MEC to render an opinion also if required.

547 deals with PIC authority and admission to the flight deck. 583 deals with carriage of persons aboard all cargo aircraft without meeting the same safety equipment requirements as passenger carriers.

If you have a cockpit door, forward of the door governed by 547, those behind the door authorized to ride under 583.

If no door, flight deck and jumpseat area is all 547.

547, unquestioned, UNFETTERED authority to deny access. Read the reg, as if you deny an LCA, Secret Service or FAA, you can - HOWEVER you better have a very very serious reason to deny them. But everyone else, PIC authority. Don't need to give a reason for not allowing them access to flight deck.

583, those in the back on the other side of a cockpit door, you can deny them access to aircraft but must have a valid safety or security reason. Reason to deny, safety of flight or governed by guidance for securty under the FOM and All Cargo Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program - All Cargo AOSSP.

Under the FOM, if you deny a 583, you must submit the reason in writing in a certain time frame to management.

Lengthy legal decision on this whole issue is available if you write the jumpseat guy Rich at the MEC. It goes into even further detail.

Use good judgment. My judgement says no need for an FO QA guy to ride in my cockpit. I've had no training on the QA program. No MOU signed on it. Not an FAA LOSA program...an according to a management memo, they are in a management entry level program...yeah, I want the guy looking over my shoulder...Really?

Easy decision for me.

Links on the regs and some discussion.

FAR Part § 121.547: Admission to flight deck -- FAA FARS, 14 CFR

14 CFR 121.583 - Carriage of persons without compliance with the passenger-carrying requirements of this part. | LII / Legal Information Institute